Upcoming Events:

I am taking a blogging break for a little while. I am in the process of getting all of my challenges for 2011 picked out so you'll see a bunch of those posts.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Review ~ City of Dreams

Pub. Date: May 2010
Publisher: Doherty, Tom Associates, LLC
Format: Hardcover, 448pp



Rating:




Synopsis:



“Can I interest you in saving America?”



That’s the text message Peter Fallon receives from a Wall Street bigwig. It’s not a challenge he can turn down, especially since the country is in the midst of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression. The stock market is wobbling. The Chinese have stopped buying our T-bills. If we don’t get control of our deficit, our economic future looks grim.



But all may not be lost. Hidden somewhere in New York City is a box of 1780s bonds with a face value of ten thousand dollars, part of a series of bonds called New Emission Money. The Supreme Court is about to decide if these bonds still have value. If the decision is yes, those ten thousand dollars, at 5 percent interest, will be worth a very pretty penny. A lot of very pretty pennies.



Suddenly, their race against time becomes a race through time as Peter and Evangeline track the stories of New Yorkers whose lives have been changed by the bonds. They’ll confront frightened booksellers, heartless businessmen, former flames, renegade treasury agents, and the Russian mafia . . . and all the while they’ll unravel the thrilling and inspiring origins of the City of Dreams.


Review:




I was asked to read and review this book a little while ago. Until I was contacted about this book I was not familiar with this author. I'm glad I took a leap of faith and gave the thumbs up on reviewing this book.




I did not realize until I was doing a little bit of research that this book is part of a series. I have not read the other titles in the series but if they are as good as this one was I will be looking into reading them as well. This is a thrilling story that is based around actual historical moments that are a trademark of the author. The plot itself is fast paced and keep-you-on-your-toes exciting....I had troubles putting it down to do basic everyday things....apparently that happens alot when I get into a book that I REALLY like! There are a LOT of really big exciting scenes and even bigger ideas that come about in this book. PLUS, the romance between Peter Fallon and Evangeline is smoking hot!




If you are a member of a book club and are looking for a read for your group I highly recommend this book!






signature

No comments: