Upcoming Events:

I am taking a blogging break for a little while. I am in the process of getting all of my challenges for 2011 picked out so you'll see a bunch of those posts.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

To review of NOT to review....

....That is the question. Do you post a review of EVERY book you read on your blog? If you don't, do you have a system in which you choose the books you post about? If you do, how do you "tastefully" word a review for a book that you "seriously disliked?"

I ask these questions because lately I've come across several books that I just don't think are blog worthy. I didn't "hate" them but I definately did not "love" them either, they were middle of the road blahness. I just don't find middle of the road blahness blog worthy.

I have a hard enough time coming up with a decent review for most of the books I've reviewed here on the blog and I think it would be even more difficult for me to write a review of a book that I just didn't find blog worthy to begin with. Now of course I'm going to post a review of the books that I was sent to review....even if they are middle of the road blahness, because the author/publisher/agent/etc. was kind enough to ask me to read and review the book. So far in the books I've been sent to review I haven't come across any blahness, which is good, but I'm still going to offer feedback if I ever do get sent any that are blahness.

My next discussion post is probably going to ruffle some feathers. It's something that pertains to our book blogging communty that I just don't understand at all to the point that it annoys and frustrates me. I'm not looking to piss off anyone who participates in this "thing" I'm trying to understand it is all and it's coming out in a rant/observations.


signature

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have read 4 in the last 2 weeks that were kinda ok - blah but not great...

The first two I wrote a short review for and these last two I am thinking I might do mini reviews - nothing huge just a few words since I sorta felt the same way about them both LOL...

Cute, sassy, short, easy, enjoyable but not overly complicated reads that will take you about 2 hours to finish total. LOL

But honestly I dont think you HAVE to review every book you read...

StephTheBookworm said...

I like doing reviews for all books, even if they are bad, that way we can help each other out and know when a book might not be for us. :)

Anonymous said...

That is why at least once a month, I do mini-reviews. They are usually one paragraph and give a quick opinion.

Lily said...

I'm having the same issues as you. I joined the Read 'n Review Challenge this year and frankly with as many books as I read it is definitely becoming a challenge.

I think I'll end up doing mini-reviews in order to get through them all.

Kathy Martin said...

I don't review books that I read that are outside the scope of my blogs. Inside of a Dog focuses on my YA and some of my adult reading. Ms. Martin Teaches Media focuses on my Middle Grade reading and some YA books. Some of my adult reading doesn't get blogged about because I don't choose to share.

If I don't like a book, I don't finish it. If I don't finish it, I don't blog about it. I have too little reading time to waste it on a book I am not enjoying. Of course, I buy all my books and am not reading books supplied by publishers for reviewing so you may make different decisions.

The Library Lurker said...

I tend to post extremes: books that I really liked, or books that I really didn't like. It's hard for me to come up with an in the middle review. If I feel like I don't have much to say about a book, good or bad, I won't review it. I don't think that you should force a review because then it won't be a very good review, even if the book was good.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I review all books. If I don't have tons to say I just do a mini review :)

Tales of Whimsy said...

Ooo I wonder what the next topic is about?

Hannah said...

To be honest, I've only written one review at it was a series review not just one book. And, I did it because another blogger asked me for my opinion of the series. My blog was not started to be a book blog, but instead a way for me to share how I am growing as an individual. Right now, it's a struggle to post anything so I make sure I participate in one weekly meme that lists what I've read each week.

As for reviewing books that leave you feeling blah...I think it would be a great idea to do an overview post that lists a few at a time. That way your readers can weigh your opinion in if they are considering reading one of those books. I like to read reviews or short blurbs when a blogger didn't like a book because it helps me to be more objective when I read the same book. It makes me think.