Upcoming Events:

I am taking a blogging break for a little while. I am in the process of getting all of my challenges for 2011 picked out so you'll see a bunch of those posts.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

King of the Wind Review

King of the Wind
Marguerite Henry
176 pages

Source: Public Library
Challenges: Support Your Local Library Challenge, 2010 YA Challenge, 144 Books in 2010, 100+ Challenge

Synopsis:
He was named “Sham” for the sun, this golden-red stallion born in the Sultan of Morocco’s stone stables. Upon his heel was a small white spot, the symbol of speed. But on his chest was the symbol of misfortune. Although he was swift as the desert winds, Sham’s pedigree would be scorned all his life by cruel masters and owners.
This is the classic story of Sham and his friend, the stable boy Agba. their adventures take them from the sands of the Sahara. to the royal courts of France, and finally to the green pastures and stately homes of England. For Sham was the renowned Godolphin Arabian, whose blood flows through the veins of almost every superior thoroughbred. Sham’s speed — like his story — has become legendary.

Review: I’ve always been a big fan of animal stories. I am also a HUGE fan of horses…They’re just so beautiful to look at! Marguerite Henry has been one of my all time favorite YA authors since I was young…Well since I got my first library card anyway. I picked up this book while pursusing the MG shelves at my local library and I came home and devoured this book in one sitting. This book is fiction but it is based on ACTUAL events that took place. There are MANY famous racehorses that can trace their ancestory back to “Sham.” The characters are endearing, Sham the bay colt that nobody took a liking to for a VERY long time and Agba a mute boy who is put in charge of Sham. The story itself is a roller coaster for both Sham and Agba but in the end everything works out for the best. Overall, I will most definately be reading more of Ms. Henry’s books in the future!

No comments: