Upcoming Events:

I am taking a blogging break for a little while. I am in the process of getting all of my challenges for 2011 picked out so you'll see a bunch of those posts.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

For Keeps review



For Keeps
Natasha Friend
272 pages
Available: April 6, 2010
Rating: 3/5

Source: Around The World Tours

Synopsis:

For sixteen years, Josie Gardner and her mom, Kate, have been a team. It’s been the Gardner Girls against the world, and that’s how Josie likes it. Until one day, in the pet food aisle of Shop-Co, they run into the parents of Paul Tucci, Kate’s high school boyfriend—the father Josie has never met. If Mr. and Mrs. Tucci are back in town, it’s only a matter of time until Paul shows up. Suddenly Josie’s mature, capable mother regresses to the heartbroken teenager she was when Paul moved away. Meanwhile, Josie’s on the verge of having her first real boyfriend, while her free-loving best friend, Liv, begins yet another no-strings-attached fling. When Josie learns some surprising truths about Paul Tucci, she finds herself questioning what she’s always believed about her parents—and about herself. In FOR KEEPS, Natasha Friend tells a fresh, funny, smart story about what happens when a girl gets the guy she always wanted and the dad she never knew she needed.

Review:

I got this book Monday afternoon in the mail and sat down and devoured it on Tuesday. I honestly don't know how I feel about this book. I sort of felt that it was a little bit predictable (but in a good way...if that makes sense)....Mom had a baby as a teen, baby is now 16 and has yet to meet her dad, dad's parents move back to town (only a matter of time until dad shows up), mom freaks. Bring on the chaos!

Overall, I liked the characters...but the one that kind of wore me the wrong way a little bit was Liv. Every girl needs her BFF but I think Liv was a little bit overboard (for my taste anyway.) In the beginning it was ok but as the story went along it kind of got old. Loved Josie's relationship with her mom! Even in the "rough" moments. Writing wise...I didn't particularly like the way Josie and Rigg's relationship was written....it made Josie look like Riggs was more important than her mom. I also didn't care for how everytime Rigg's does something wrong she's mad at him for hardly no time at all and then just up a forgives him. But on a postive note....The book (characters and all) is written in a manner to keep the book very "real."

So overall, I didn't dislike the book but I didn't LOVE it either. I think that it was very "real" fiction.

What I really thought:

The Beginning: Wow those two really ARE close!

The Middle: LIV YOUR DRIVING ME CRAZY! I'm NOT enjoying Josie and Rigg's relationship AT ALL!

The End: I'm pretty sure I've seen this in TV show form somewhere?

2 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

I love the beginning, middle, and end thing. Very cool!

distractedmusician said...

I love the cover of this book - I saw it on another blog and have been dying to read it.

Same as Juju, I like how you add your reactions at each stage in the book. Very unique =]